Thursday, February 10, 2011

The big dog update!

And he is a big one!!

I've not mentioned doggies here before, as I've been trying hard not to get excited about it too much.

Chris and I have been thinking about getting a dog ever since I moved in. He has had a family dog for years, and I've always fancied one (which sounds bad I know, but I am a responsible pet owned human ;) ). I have loved Greyhounds ever since I became aware that you could have them as pets. I know it's very stupid of me, but I never thought about them as anything other than racing dogs, and imagined they'd make terrible pets. I am much better educated now though thankfully, so just over a week or so ago, we contacted a local Greyhound rescue.

Our home check went very well, Ozzie, the dog who owned our checker was a perfect gentleman, and made me realise just how tall these dogs are-I'll need to move my dolls, that's for sure!!

Home check sorted, we waited for a call to say they had a dog that might like us. It didn't take long, and today we went to meet Poppy-a 6year old lady greyhound.

She was lovely, but she had killed some cats, and as we already own 2 wonderful rabbits, we just couldn't risk it.

So then the lady said 'well, there is one more possible dog....'. So then we met 'Roy'. I put his name in quotations because, well, he doesn't really have a name. They got him from a pound after he was confiscated from suspected poachers, who denied he belonged to them. So a random name was picked for him. He doesn't know it, or answer to it, shoe could be renamed :D Anyway, that's boring, let me tell you more about him!

He's a lurcher, very tall, and heavier built than a greyhound, but still obviously grey related. Very handsome face- pointer-ish look to him. Beautiful markings, mostly white, with red brindle patches, and tiny spots through the white, rather like a spaniel. The coat is like a short haired Labrador coat, same texture and slight curl.
He is so affectionate! Both dogs were, but he was very obviously besotted with Chris ;) and while he was happy to go round getting fuss from everyone, he kept going back to Chris, and staying with him longest. The poor chap has had a urine infection, and so they've not been able to neuter him yet, but he is the calmest, most laid back lurcher I have ever seen!

I think you can guess that we rather like him, and so, very kindly (because of the rabbits mostly) they have said we can borrow him for the weekend for a trial. It's not something they usually allow, but Jan, the lady in charge suggested it as our circumstances are a little different having rabbits at home. He did apparently ignore a rabbit when out walking, when all the Greys went nuts, which is a good sign, but I'd imagine that he might be feeling rather rubbish with his urine infection (which is clearing, and should be much better by the weekend) and so might not have felt like a chase.

So there we are, we have gone from looking at (and being offered) a little, dainty greyhound girl, to very seriously considering a massive brute of a lurcher boy! Perhaps it's meant to be.....we'll see :D


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. How exciting! I'm happy for you and hope it works out :-)

    ReplyDelete